Sunday, February 19, 2012

DIY Washi Tape


Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all having a terrific weekend.  I recently discovered Washi Tape, and fell in love with its translucence and pretty patterns.  It doesn't come cheap, and so I decided to figure out how to make it myself.  With a bit of research, and a look-see at my available supplies, I came up with the following method:

Cut one layer each of freezer paper and tissue paper to 8.5 x 11 inches.  Adhere them together using a warm iron.  Use your favorite software (I used MTC) to import the graphics that you want. I used Lettering Delights digital papers and sized them at 1x8 inches.  I was limited to five of these strips by MTC's propensity to crash when loaded with graphics. To overcome this and make the best use of my paper, I ran it through my printer twice, so that both ends of the paper were printed.  I used an Color laser printer and printed on the shiny side of the tissue paper which gave my strips a high shine. 

After printing, I carefully removed the tissue from the freezer paper.  I found that it was easiest to do this immediately after printing, while it was still warm.  Using double sided adhesive sheets purchased from Tyler at http://www.allthatjazzsupplies.com/, I removed one of the backing layers and adhered the printed tissue paper to the adhesive sheet.  (I cut my sheets in half to make them easier to use.)  Using a rotary cutter and acrylic ruler, I cut between the strips and trimmed away all of the excess adhesive.  Voila! 

Soon, I will post a couple of card that I made using my DIY Washi Tape.  I sure had fun playing around in my craft room this weekend.

Happy Presidents' Day!

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are very much appreciated!